Frequently asked questions
Product Information & Features
» Why do I need CBData® to organize my information?
For a variety of reasons:
» Can I import data from other programs?
Yes! CBData® lets you import data from many existing programs, so you don’t have to manually input your information. Let’s say you have put some personal data in Outlook®, financial data in Quicken® and your medical records are scattered all over. CBData® provides step-by-step ways to quickly and easily get your information into your database, without your having to rekey the information.
» Can I export data from CBData®?
Yes! CBData® has a one step export functionality that allows you to export any of your data from any report within the program, into a variety of formats: PDF, Rich Text, Excel
» Can I scan and attach copies of documents?
Yes! That’s one of the most popular ways to use CBData® . Now you can have one location for digital copies of everything from your birth certificate to your Social Security card. CBData® lets you scan or attach important documents – birth certificate, credit cards, marriage certificate, Social Security card – so you have copies instantly available for when you need them.
» What type of documents can I attach?
CBData® allows for scanned documents (PDFs), pictures (JPG and PNG), audio files, and Excel, Word and PowerPoint files. We do recommend that you only attach lower resolution attachments, since our database holds a maximum of 2gig. We do, however, allow you to point to larger files on your computer, creating a link that is available when the program is open.
» Do you have a CBData® App for my phone?
Yes, CBData has a free iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad App, available at the App Store on your mobile device. The App allows you to select exactly which information you would like to sync with your device, and is AES encrypted and read-only.
» How can I access my CBData® information in an emergency or when a natural disaster occurs?
CBData® has an iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad App, which allows you to access your information on the go. CBData® also has a Grab’N Go feature built into the program that allows you to pre-select a set of Reports and Attachments, Member by Member, ahead of time, so that, if you need that information in a hurry, all you have to do is insert a flash drive into your PC and hit the Grab’N Go icon. In a medical emergency, having the right information can save lives and in the event of fire, flood or theft, accurate records are key to reclaiming what is yours!
» Can I share my information with only certain people?
Yes, you can share your data file with anyone who owns their own copy of CBData® . You can create a username and password for anyone with whom you would like to share your data. You can also control how much information each User can access of each of the Member Profiles you’ve set up in the program.
» Does CBData® automatically back up my data?
Within CBData®, every time you move from one field to another, your data is automatically saved within the program…no “save” buttons. Additionally, every time you close CBData® you will be asked if you would like to backup your data. And if you have automatic backup already set up, your file will automatically be backed up during your backup schedule. Be sure to save a copy to an external drive, in case your computer crashes or is stolen.
» Does CBData® have a “Search” feature?
Yes, CBData® has an easy-to-use search capability. On various pages you can just enter “Insurance” or “Bank Account” or “My pet Fido” and CBData® will find the information you are looking for. You can also go to the Tools Tab and use our formal Search engine; find People, Companies, Phone Numbers, even Attachments…across all Member Profiles, if you’re the Administrator!
» How do I get upgrades? When are upgrades released?
Upgrades with new features and fixes are released once a year. We provide a year’s worth of free upgrades to all new users. Users are automatically emailed an upgrade notice when a new upgrade is released and can purchase it for $30/year.
» How much data can I store?
CBData® allows for up to 2GB of storage. We also have a procedure in place that shows you how to “archive” information, once you reach the 2GB limt.
» I'm overwhelmed and don't know where to start. What can I do?
That’s why we offer a JumpStart service, whereby we partner with you to ensure that you stay on track and that the task does not overwhelm you. Creating a Life Inventory™ can be daunting, but if you formulate a plan, it’s a lot easier than you think!
» What are CBData® and CBData® Pro?
CBData® and CBData® Pro are unique software tools that organize and store every aspect of an individual and family’s personal and small business lives - all in one place, fully secure, residing right on your personal computer. CBData® tracks personal, medical, financial and other family information of all kinds, for each family member. CBData® Pro, our small business product, is for the 30+ million people that work out of their homes, sometimes with multiple businesses. These people need a product that ties together Business Structure, HR (Human Resources), IT, CRM (client relationship management) and even reuses existing data input on the personal data side, that applies to their small business, without having to reinput information or buy multiple products that don’t talk to each other.
» What products does CBData® offer and how much do they cost?
Below are the prices for the CBData® product offerings:
- Personal – comes with free Mobile App sync. $150
- CBData® is secure, robust database software that includes Personal, Medical, Financial and more – all in one product to Simplify Your Personal Life!
- Small Business $250
- CBData® Pro is a secure, robust, small business software that includes Business Structure, HR, CRM, Billing, IT and more – all in one product to Simplify Your Professional Life! Includes Personal version and free Mobile App sync.
- Upgrading from Personal to Business $100
- Upgrade your current Personal version to the Small Business version.
- Concierge Service - $150/hour up, dependent upon where service is performed and in what geographic location
- The CBData® Personal Service Concierge is a boutique service that helps you build both your Life Inventory™ and your Business Inventory by gathering the necessary information and then getting your CBData® (or CBData® Pro) software license installed, registered, and initially populating the software with that information.
» How many CBData® Members can I create?
You can create an unlimited number of CBData® Member Profiles, one for every member of your family. You can also create an unlimited number of Users, so family members and trusted advisors can access whatever information you want them to. The Administrator of the program (the first person to log into the program) can decide how much information each User can access of each of the Member Profiles set up in the program. This allows trusted advisors and family members to access certain sections of each family member’s profile, on a read-only or full access basis, depending upon your wishes.
You can also create an unlimited number of residences, phone numbers, entities, contacts...well, just about anything!
» How do you support CBData®?
Most important to know, our support is not outsourced. It is performed right here, in America!
We have a several different ways CBData® Users can access support.
- First, every screen in the program has screen sensitive help. Simply click on the "Help" button, at the top right of every screen, and the Help Menu will appear to guide you through the features of the page.
- Secondly, we have an online knowledge base that Users can utilize for help.
- Third, Users can call us at (201) 562-3500, email us at email@example.com, or click on Live Chat icon on our home page to chat with a CBData® support representative.
- Lastly, Users can always get training from us (we do have formal training classes), consulting or avail themselves of our JumpStart service, where we'll help step them through some of or even the entire process.
Whatever you feel is the best way to support you, we're here, ready to help!
» What is the cost of support?
For general support we do not charge clients.
For personalized support, depending on the method (training, consulting, JumpStarting), costs vary. Call us and we'll be happy to discuss that and anything else about which you have questions.
» What if my computer crashes or I buy a new computer and need to re-install?
If your computer crashes, we hope you will have practiced good backup procedures and have a backup of your data file. Every time CBData® closes, it asks you if you want to back up your data. As long as you have a) a copy of your data and b) your unique ID, which we refer to as a "fingerprint", we can get you back up and running in less than 30 minutes...at no charge.
If you buy a new computer to replace the one you've been using, we will be glad to get you up and running on your new computer. Please call us at (201) 447-1577, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
Partnering with CBData
» Do you have an Affiliate Program?
We welcome the opportunity to work with a variety of partners in a variety of ways.
- What some call an "Affiliate" program, we have changed to be Referral and Selling Agent Programs. Depending on the level of involvement, individuals and firms can participate in our programs, earning anywhere from 5-20%.
- We also offer Service Oriented Programs, such as CBData® Aggregators, that learn to collect the information needed to create a Life Inventory™ that will be input into CBData® for safekeeping. We offer a Concierge class, so people can start their own businesses using our product.
- We offer a Value-Add program for professionals, such as accountants, financial planners, family offices, health care and human resources professionals and others-who would like to offer CBData® as a value-added service to their clients.
Please contact us to discuss any of the above, including private labeling and bulk discounts.
» Do you train people to offer CBData® Services?
Yes, we offer a number of Service Oriented Training Programs:
- Home Inventory Academy is an online, on-demand 7 module course that teaches professionals how to create a home inventory for their clients. It includes not only teaching them - step-by-step - but also helps them assess their current business, explaining the eight key areas of any business, and helps create a business plan and marketing plan for the offering. More information can be found at www.homeinventoryacademy.com.
- CBData® Aggregators learn to collect the information needed to create a Life Inventory™ that will be input into CBData® for safekeeping.
- CBData® JumpStarters learn the technology process of inputting the data, from the aggregation process, in the most meaningful way to the client, into CBData®, for the personal version or into CBData® Pro, for the business version.
- We train people to become CBData® Aggregators, JumpStarters and Personal Service "Concierges", so they can start their own businesses using our aggregation methodologies and our secure database product.
All courses are offered via zoom and are not expensive. Generally, revenue from one client recovers the cost of the course.
- The Hme Inventory Academy course is $999.
- CBData® Aggregator course is $150 and is three hours long
- The CBData® JumpStarter course for CBData®, the personal version, is $500, and is twenty hours long, with 2 hour sessions and homework. The course for both the personal and small business versions is $750.
- Once someone has taken both the Aggregator and JumpStarter courses and has fulfilled the Certification requirements of insurance, experience, referrals and proof of having a bonafide company, they are able to become CBData® JumpStart Concierges. At that point, we promote and refer business to the "Concierge" designated firms. Per below, a Concierge must buy at least one Service Hub license, which is a commercial license for CBData® .
- The CBData® commercial Service Hub License for the personal version of CBData® is a one-time fee of $500 and 30% maintenance/year, after the first year.
- The CBData® Pro Small Business Service Hub License is a one-time fee of $1250 and 30% maintenance/year, after the first year.
» Can my firm or I private label your product?
Yes, but it's important to understand what "private labeling" means.
True "private labeling" means making the product seem like it's completely yours. Our name does not appear anywhere. We have no problem with that, but you must understand that, in doing that, you must be prepared to do the following:
- With your name all over the product, you do all marketing. All marketing materials are created by you.
- With your name on the product, we need to create a customized web page that links to your web page, since we generate the serial number when the client buys the product and implement the security when the client registers.
- With yours being the only name on the product, you do all support.
- Since we maintain two separate versions of the product, the programming costs are not inexpensive.
We're happy to speak with you about this option, but we'd recommend that you start with "personalizing"
Personalizing means that you replace our "splash page" with yours. You can customize it and it will show up every time a user opens the program, reminding them who gave them the product or who they bought it from. Any "sharing coupon" licenses will also inherit your personalization so if a client buys a copy for their adult child, your message will continue to show up. If a client gives the product away, your message will show up each time the product is opened.
Personalization of our splash page is a one time fee of between $1,000 and $2,000. We not only change the splash page, we ensure that any sharing coupons get that same page and that the EULA (End User License Agreement) is changed to reflect a disclaimer for your firm.
» How long have you been in business?
Our firm officially was formed in the spring of 2009. We first released CBData® , the personal version, in December, 2009. We released CBData® Pro, the small business version, in June of 2012.
» What happens if you go out of business?
We have no intention of going out of business, but we also know that this is a question that clients have, in the back of their minds, so we are happy to give you answers that we hope will allay any concerns you may have.
- We have ensured that the software is written in a platform that is world renowned, Microsoft Access.
- We have also ensured that all of your data can be exported to Excel via our Export Utility.
- We also have a succession plan, should anything happen to the founder, Carol R. Kaufman. Please note that this is her second sofware firm, the first one, Organizer Systems, Inc., was a 20 year firm in the hedge fund industry that was eventually acquired by SunGard, in 2002.
» Who is your target market?
- Individuals, because they're the ultimate End User of our product.
- Small Businesses, because they need our small business product to aggregate their important information, show professionalism, create efficiencies and not have to buy multiple products that don't talk to each other.
- Large businesses, because they have HR departments and CBData® can be used as an affinity product for employees. It's a great work/life balance tool.
- Not-For-Profits, because they can use our product as a fundraiser.
Technology Platform & Requirements
» What is the Technology Platform of CBData®?
Both CBData® and CBData® Pro have a foundation based on the Microsoft Access database software, with utilization of VBA added. Both modules are housed in the same database, so they can share information. The reason we chose a Microsoft Access® database is because of the longevity and stability of the product and because most business software currently resides on the Windows platform.
» What technology platform does CBData® support?
CBData® supports the following platforms:
- Windows Platform
- Win XP, Vista, Win 7, Win 8, Win 10
- 2 Gig RAM
- 2 Gig Hard Drive Space
- MAC Platform
- Genuine Windows License
- Virtual Software (Parallels 7 or VMWare)
- 3 Gig RAM
- 2 Gig Hard Drive Space
- Mobile App Sync
- iPod Touch
- 2 Gig Hard Drive Space
» Will CBData® run on my MAC?
Yes, but only if you have a Genuine Windows License (Win XP, Vista, 7, 8 or Win 10), Virtual Software (VirtualBox, Parallels 7 or VMWare), 3 Gig RAM, and 2 Gig hard drive storage. The beauty of having it run on a MAC is that you can move it between a MAC and a PC and they're both using the same operating system, so they're 100% compatible.
» Are there any plans to create a web-based version or a native MAC version of the CBData® product?
We've been quite busy, over the past couple of years, doing just that! Pinventory® is our new, web-based platform! We've started rolling it out with the Pinventory® Home Inventory product, which will be followed by the Pinventory ®Plus (personal and financial modules), then Pinventory® Complete (personal, financial and medical). Pinventory® will have all the functionality of CBData...and more!
» How can I be assured that CBData® holds my data safely and securely?
Security is our #1 concern, which is why we historically have not allowed the CBData® software to reside on and operate on the Internet. Even though we do not allow the product to be used on the Internet, we do allow it to be stored there, for sharing with desired family members and trusted advisors, And our new web-based product, Pinventory®, has taken all the latest security measures needed to address security concerns.
CBData® and CBData® Pro have a foundation, based on the Microsoft Access runtime program (which means you don't pay any extra for the Microsoft Access component). We've added a lot of VBA, a programming language used with Access, for enhanced capability. We did not feel that 128-bit encryption was secure enough, which is what Microsoft Access uses, so we doubled the encryption to be (256-bit). Additionally we added a Unique ID that is stored on both the computer and in the data file. Every time CBData® goes to open a data file, it checks to be sure the Unique ID is the same. If both do not match, a popup question asks the user for the Unique ID or a Passkey. If one cannot be provided by the user, the program will not open.
» Can I use CBData® on the Internet?
No, CBData® must be used on a local computer, on the C:\ drive. You can, however, save your back end data file to the Internet. Even though we do not allow the product to be used on the Internet, we do allow it to be stored there, for sharing with desired family members and trusted advisors.
Pinventory, our new web-based product, has taken all the latest security measures needed to address security concerns.